There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread through the use of pools and hot tubs.
Homeowners concerned about using their pool or spa should be aware that they can continue to use them during these challenging times while still practicing safe social distancing. The CDC has said that “proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g. with chlorine or bromine) of pools and hot tubs should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.”
What do they mean by “proper”?
Following further information provided by both the CDC and the EPA, Watercrafters recommends that homeowners diligently follow these maintenance steps:
1) Ensure that your pool or spa continuously maintains a free available chlorine residual of 1-4 ppm or for bromine, a 2-5 ppm residual, with an EPA-registered sanitizer. Follow label directions for proper use.
2) Keep water balanced to these recommended ranges (follow all label directions for proper use):
3) Operate your pump at least 8-12 hours per day to assure proper circulation and filtration.
4) Disinfect surfaces around the pool or spa with an EPA-registered disinfectant hard surface cleaner to prevent transmission of the virus through touching of contaminated surfaces.
5) Do not swim if you show symptoms of being sick. Follow guidance by the CDC, Public Health Officials and/or your Medical Provider.
For further information:
Information on COVID-19 is changing daily. The most reliable source of information is the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html. Additional information regarding proper swimming pool operation can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/.
Make the best of your extended time at home and stay safe!